Thursday, May 28, 2015

First Impressions

Nearly 40 hours later, we made it to Hua Hin, Thailand!  All travel went smoothly and as planned.  I knew the 13 hour flight from Detroit to Tokyo was going to be long but wow! I'm glad I won't be sitting on a plane again for that long for awhile.

Throughout the day yesterday, various group members asked me how I was feeling and to be honest, it didn't sink in that I was moving abroad until we landed in Bangkok airport and got our luggage.  At that moment, all I felt was excitement to see where I would be teaching for the next 10 months and to meet new people.  

Walking through Bangkok airport, it was obvious that our group was definitely the minority.  I didn't feel uncomfortable about this.  Instead, I found it to be intriguing.  The more signs I walked by in a language I can't read, write, or speak (yet), the more my curiosity and wonder grew.  I felt awake and alert even after all those hours of travel.  I had a sense of accomplishment that I didn't back out and was standing in the country that will be my home away from home.

I'm very glad that my first feelings getting off my last plane were that of excitement and wonder.  I know that when these feelings will continue to grow and deepen, there are going to be times where I feel that I'm in over my head and I will second my decision of teaching abroad.  Those times will be difficult but I am certain that my feelings of excitement will outweigh the feelings anxiety and despair. 

Today will be my first full day of living in Hua Hin.  The plans for the day include taking a tour of the school and opening a Thai Bank Account for myself.  My first contract date is Monday, June 1 which happens to be a holiday and a day of no school.  I am unsure if I'll be getting my assigned room today or on Tuesday.  If I don't begin teaching today, I will be joining the Gannon group on a trip to the elephant sanctuary and crossing "riding an elephant" off my bucket list!  I'll post some pictures of the school next week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment